St. Norbert College – September 3, 2020
We celebrate Black History Month thanks to Carter G. Woodson. What started out as Negro History Week in 1926 is now a month, although Woodson aimed for Negro History Year. Why February? Learn more about Woodson and the origins of the celebration from the Association for the Study of African Life and History here: https://asalh.org/about-us/origins-of-black-history-month/
Read Black Stories and Black Authors
Black Student Union Events at SNC: https://www.snc.edu/multicultural/blackhistory.html
GirlTrek Black History Boot Camp Prayer Edition (October 2020): https://www.blackhistorybootcamp.com/
Learn more about GirlTrek here: https://www.girltrek.org/
Media – Podcasts
- 2 Dope Queens: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/dopequeens
Phoebe Robinson and Jessica Williams host a live comedy show in Brooklyn featuring LGBTQ and BIPOC comedians.
- Phoebe Robinson went on to host Sooo Many White Guys and Black Frasier
- Politically Reactive: https://www.topic.com/politically-re-active
W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu talk to the creators, thinkers, and leaders doing the work to defend and reinvent our democracy.
- Still Processing: https://www.nytimes.com/column/still-processing-podcast
Journalists Wesley Morris and Jenna Wortham are working it out.
- Criminal Podcast features several episodes centering Black stories. A few recent examples include:
Episode 141: It looked like fire
Episode 142: Robert Smalls
Episode 143: Knock and Announce
- This is Love, Criminal’s sister podcast, features stories of Black love. Some episodes include:
Episode 22: Prairie Warbler
Episode 26: The Kinseys
- Snap Judgment hosted by Glynn Washington
- NPR’s Code Switch
- Ear Hustle
- The Michelle Obama Podcast
- Podcast Directory — Blk Pod Collective
The directory serves as an avenue to find and support African-American podcasters, sound engineers and podcast virtual assistants.
Media – YouTube
- Black History in Two Minutes with Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man
- The Grapevine
- Black Renaissance coming to YouTube Originals February 26